Sustainable Marine Fuels,
for Sustainable Maritime Transportation
Sustainable Marine Fuel Fest (formerly known as Gas Fest) is a unique ‘for industry, by industry’ forum that explores all marine fuels and technologies that will support shipping on its decarbonisation pathway.
This inspiring and highly collaborative gathering will bring together key stakeholders across the marine fuel value system to align on decarbonisation strategies, stress-test policy and regulation as well as uncover the rationale for investment decisions in various fuels and technologies.
Instead of relying on a select few industry experts for “content”, collaboration underpins SMF Fest’s unique methodology. We will co co-create an immersive and enjoyable experience that is a real disruptor in the shipping conference world, and one which will deliver actionable and measurable outcomes for all participants.
SMF Fest 2023, scheduled for 15-16 November 2023 in the port city of Valencia, ahead of COP 28 in Dubai, will be the premier meeting place for marine fuel leaders to:
- Collaborate on targets to improve the entire marine fuel sector
- Calibrate individual organisation’s direction vis a vis the other organisations
- Align on views about the different fuels
- Understand rationale for different fuels’ investments
- Challenge policy makers
- Represent a unified front to the non-marine world
“Excellently organised, excellently run,with an outcome to be seen.”
- 100% of participants would recommend it to their colleagues and peers
- 100% of participants said they would join a future edition
- 100% of participants said it lived up to its claim of not being “just another Gas event”
Current SMF Fest 2023 Partners include:
Gas Fest was held in November 2017 (Amsterdam), Feb 2019 (Lisbon) and Jun 2022 (Barcelona) as a partnership event among these industry organisations and more…
“Absolutely the best way to connect with new and old people from the industry and hear others’ views on the topics discussed “
– Director, Wärtsilä
Objectives of SMF Fest
- To continue to be a highly differentiated, engaging, interactive, enjoyable and inspiring gathering
- To be a trusted neutral annual event that the community looks forward to, and commits to, year after year
- Far less about sales & marketing or commercial promotion of organisations in the industry – more about finding solutions to common challenges that benefit the industry as a whole
- To promote diversity & sustainability during planning and execution
- Incorporate technology in a sensible and enjoyable way for participants
“I got much, much more out of this than any event I’ve attended to date.”
– Director, WinGD
The questions SMF Fest tackles
What are my current & future shipping fuel options?
- What are some practical ways to reduce our maritime carbon footprint?
- What about local emissions?
- Why can’t we use ammonia or hydrogen now?
- Do we have all the right stakeholders in the room?
- What do we wish regulators knew?
- What makes industry success stories so successful?
- What can we learn from other industries?
How SMF Fest is run
Acknowledging the combined value of experience and diversity of views that make up SMF Fest participants, we employ a uniquely engaging methodology to get the most out of our time together.
To that end, SMF Fest is an intimate gathering (~80 pax, by invitation only) with very few plenary sessions and an abundance of interactive problem-solving exercises.
And instead of experiencing a typical conference agenda, participants are taken on a journey that oncovers the true issues at hand and provide a setting for collaborative and meaningful discussions.
In breakout groups, along with mini classroom sessions, participants pick the topics they’re interested in and rotate around the room (topics are repeated, depending on demand).
The group then comes back together for a final fish bowl discussion, where the results of the individual group work is presented / challenged and participants volunteer to continue work on the topics that most resonate with them.
We also utilise live graphical scribing extensively, along with custom-designed workboards, in order to effectively capture the discussions ‘as they happen’. Participants can look forward to deep introductions, a welcome stand-up tapas supper and a closing family-style fiesta to strengthen those connections they’ll build during the event.
Lastly, the ‘Fest’ in SMF Fest means we plan to have fun while we solve the most complex challenges facing our industry!
“An informal approach, low shoulders, and willingness to share ideas are key to the success of this event.”
– Director, DNV